To go on with the picture of the rolling stone,
it has been rolling on a rather bumpy road relating the implementation of the
technology related changes. The bumps were represented by time restriction and by
the characteristic problems of the instruction in general: lack of
preparedness, inappropriate learning techniques, reluctance, unexpected
happenings and so on.
Although Robert had reinforced me that my
project is going on a well established path as for the defined problem and the
possible solutions that address the original needs, I faced some problems occurred
during this week.
I have already introduced some technology
solutions in my target group since I started the course, so I have gained experience
about my students’ reaction, attitude to the, new way of learning. They do not
hesitate to express their aversion towards the unfamiliar tasks, arise questions
relating technology which are in some case real, acceptable and reasonable arguments
but sometimes they are not meaningful complaints and objections rooted in unwillingness
for itself.
I always discuss the main objectives as well as
the sub aims of the particular phase of the learning process with my students. This
project was no exception. I asked them about what language skill they think
needs to be developed using a bit new way of learning. Their answers reflected my own thoughts in terms
of students need, namely to develop
speaking skills, fluency in particular.
I had in mind four steps of intensive
practicing to take this week: exploring the particular website, going through the
listening tasks together, getting the students to continue the intensive practicing
of the assigned dialogue at home and to get familiar with the website in
general, making pairs and practicing the dialogue via the Internet. suggesting
some ways of taping the conversation. I have started to try out the website to
be the host of the discourse to avoid ‘It is the case of blind leading the
blind’ situation.
I had to realize that some of my students are struggling
with the same comprehensive problems which they have in the ordinary
textbook-based tasks too, they seem not to understand that the technology
enhanced tasks should be considered important similarly to any other assignments.
Luckily some of them enjoyed practicing on web and they told me it was like
talking to real partner. They liked the features of immediate feedback and the
chance for repetition of any phase of practicing, which is satisfying indeed.
To overcome the problems I have to be more
specific in planning and organizing each phase and element of the implementation
of changes. I have created rubrics for evaluating children’s including criteria for submitting different
tasks and their reliability as a partner. I want to ensure my students that
they are not expected to do a perfect job but to try to do their best to take
advantage of the technology enhanced practicing for their own sake.
Robert’s words about how shortcomings, success
and failures of the projects should affect us are awesome and encouraging for
me. I must keep them in mind and apply them in the implementation of my
project.

.jpg)

Dear Ildikó,
ReplyDeleteYou wrote a very interesting and honest post. You were as honest with us, as your students were with you. Though my students were a bit different, because they liked the whole idea at the beginning, but when they really had to put efforts into certain tasks to create something, well... I had to goad not one of them. They were able to spend 3 lessons clicking here and there without stepping ahead. So finally I made a quick deadline.
Every beginning is difficult and each group has its own problems. But I am not sure that you are on the right path, and your students will soon adapt themselves to these new techniques. Those who have problems in the textbooks will have problems here as well. The problems won't cease with the new technologies, but they help overcome of them maybe faster.
Keep doing your precious job,
Csilla
Dear Chilla,
DeleteThank you for your encouraging thoughts. I see we have similar problems and approaches to implementing the intended changes. I have also defined deadline for my pupils and it seems to be working. Today I could hear my students’ voice which they had taped and sent to me. It was an amazing and satisfying experience for me.
Thank you for your kind reinforcing.
Ildiko
Dear Ildikó,
ReplyDeleteI understand your great concenr about helping your students to develop speaking skills. There are various ways to help them but the most important one is a lively way of teaching. Students learn much quicker when they are asked to do or even create role-plays. That is what I do quite often. Next, in the lessons I use the English language only (except when I explain grammar rules- but not eveything). They have to get used to hearing from me as much English as possible. If they don't understand something I always ask someone (who understands ) to explain. While explaining or willing to tell something in the majority of cases students are asked to use English with my help. By the way, a very good chance is to do an international project at school ( if you succeed) where at least some students have a possibility to live in foreign families or to host the foreign students from partner countries. I also always encourage them to find friends on-line and to speak using skype. Sometimes, if some students are active in their after school activities they also visit foreign countries for different purposes and I also remind them to use their English as much as they can in the way they will be able to make a conversation.
I think you're also doing something like me, but the best thing is lively communication with someone from abroad. Technology enhanced speaking is fun if students are normally skilled in using the IT. Some students äre "afraid of it " and want the lesson to be completed as soon as possible. They even start counting minutes left till the end of the lesson. It's a great challenge to improve their speaking skills together with the IT skills. I hope there are no such students in your group who are afraid of everything, aren't there?
Egle